Not All Hemp Is Created Equal™
The landmark Agriculture Improvement Act of 2018 (more commonly known as the 2018 Farm Bill) legalized for the first time since 1937 a pathway to growing and shipping via interstate commerce industrial hemp* once again on American soil. Since that time, Folium has led the U.S.-based CBD industry, developing proprietary hemp genetics and cultivating the highest quality 0.0% THC CBD hemp ingredients domestically in Colorado.
Our hemp plants naturally produce a high amount of CBD along with other cannabinoids:
- 10-20% Cannabidiol (CBD)
- 5-2% Cannabigerol (CBG)
- 5-2% Cannabinol (CBN)
- 5-2% Cannabichromene (CBC)
- less than 0.3% THCA
The cannabinoids and dozens of terpenes in Folium’s hemp strain have evolved naturally and are extracted and purified with utmost care to preserve the components vital to our extracts and finished products
*Industrial hemp is genetically inferior to Folium’s Broad Spectrum CBD when it comes to the content of its therapeutic components, yet it is defined the same way by the regulatory agencies.
Extraction & Purification
Folium’s broad-spectrum CBD oil and finished products benefit from the true essences derived from our proprietary genetics and preserved through trade secret methods.
Our patent-pending hemp extraction process ensures the preservation of nearly all beneficial phytocannabinoids and terpenes while our proprietary chromatographic purification process selectively removes Delta 9-THC and other undesirable impurities from our broad-spectrum hemp extract and purified oils.
Our proprietary methodologies avoid exposing extracted products to high temperature or adverse conditions as is common with other manufacturers’ fractional distillation processes. This advanced approach preserves the plant’s terpene profile, eliminating potential degradation of cannabinoids and mitigating potential oxidation of other botanical compounds.
The rich blend of phytocannabinoids, terpenes, sterols and flavonoids contained within our broad-spectrum oil provides greater synergistic reactions — known to some as the Entourage Effect – that are essential for their efficacy and biological activity.
- Operate the world’s largest cannabinoid extraction and purification facility
- Employ high-quality ethanol and supercritical CO2
- High CBD, low THC, and high terpene plant genetics lead to high-quality extract
- No external additives
- Closed and cold processes used to preserve terpenes and other desired volatiles
Folium Biosciences produces broad spectrum CBD oil by one of two extraction processes:
- Utilizing supercritical CO2 to produce an extract rich in terpenes, cannabidiol (CBD), and other phytocannabinoids. This extract is further subjected to winterization in ethanol and solvent removal through vacuum distillation. After the chlorophyll, waxes, and THC are removed:
- THC is removed to a level of 0.0% THC
- All other components, minor cannabinoids, terpenes and flavonoids are preserved.
- Meeting the toughest regulatory requirements
The resulting product is a broad-spectrum CBD oil with 70-90% CBD, minor cannabinoids and terpenes.
- Utilizing ethanol in a solvent-extraction process, followed by the same purification processes described in method 1 above to remove chlorophyll, waxes, and THC.
Irrespective of the extraction process, the critical attributes of the oil (CBD %, terpenes, minor cannabinoids) remain the same. Since the extract from both processes undergo the same set of purification steps, the resulting broad spectrum CBD hemp oils demonstrate the same level of quality and consistency irrespective of the extraction solvents. Folium uses both types of oils to fulfill orders, as they are comparable and interchangeable. Our manufacturing techniques are designed to yield the same quality attributes that are critical to our customers.
Water Soluble Technology
To address the historic pure broad-spectrum CBD hemp oil limitation that is water-insoluble and not readily absorbed into the bloodstream, Folium offers several proprietary and patent-pending water-soluble broad-spectrum CBD oil options.
When Folium’s broad-spectrum CBD hemp oil is converted into a water-soluble liquid, it forms cannabinoid emulsion droplets with an average size of 25 nanometers, which enables superior formulations.
Our standard water-soluble broad spectrum CBD contains 20% CBD, other minor phytocannabinoids, and terpenes. This proprietary formulation has been designed for maximum absorption. It is intended for dissolution immediately prior to consumption and for manufacturing of slurries, semi-solid and solid products.
Our standard water soluble liquid formula is made with broad-spectrum CBD oil and food grade emulsifiers. It contains 35% CBD for cosmetic applications.
0.0% THC means our products generate absolutely no psychoactive effects or side effects associated with THC. Every batch of Folium broad-spectrum CBD oil is tested to validate our 0.0% THC claim to satisfy an ever-increasing demand for non-psychoactive CBD products.
Folium’s chromatographic purification process has been able to selectively remove the singular psychoactive component, Delta 9-THC, from the broad-spectrum CBD hemp oil. The absence of detectable THC is confirmed through High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) instruments. Since our purification process is able to selectively remove Delta 9-THC while leaving intact the other synergistic components of the oil, the resulting hemp extract is non-psychoactive while still delivering the entourage effect for biological activity and efficacy.
Folium has been certified by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) as a producer of THC-Free (non-detectable THC) broad-spectrum CBD hemp oil that meet the requirements for human consumption and legal distribution.
Labs & Testing
Folium works with independent labs across the country to test our broad-spectrum CBD oil. Accurately testing our products is of utmost importance to ensure our customers receive the highest quality products in the industry that are completely free of solvents and meet the toughest regulatory requirements for heavy metals and pesticides.
The qualified, independent labs that we work with are accurately test the critical aspects of our products using validated test methods that meet our commitment to critical quality attributes.
We have developed and carefully control all aspects of our supply chain from farming to extraction and purification, product manufacturing, on-site laboratory testing, and bulk broad-spectrum CBD oil distribution. Complete vertical integration ensures the highest quality control for all Folium products.
We employ a proprietary engineering process to create our broad spectrum CBD hemp oil products. Extraction methods maintain the broad plant profile – ensuring customers a Broad Spectrum of cannabinoids, terpenes, and fatty acids from the natural plant. Cold, enclosed, and continuous manufacturing processes prevent the degradation of natural molecules during extraction and purification.
- Our state-of-the-art facilities, including our new FDA registered extraction and purification building, allow us to produce thousands of kilos of broad-spectrum CBD hemp oil for our customers and clients.
- Testing is done in-house and verified through independent, third-party labs using validated HPLC instruments.
- Our company maintains Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) throughout the supply chain, with a dedication to transparency for our customers and clients.
- By manufacturing our own custom extraction and refinement equipment in Amsterdam, Folium Biosciences enjoys exclusive access to the industry’s most technologically advanced equipment. This additional level of vertical integration allows Folium Biosciences to control every phase of the production process, from seed to sale.
Free Sale Certification
We have been certified by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) as a producer of THC-Free (non-detectable THC) broad spectrum CBD hemp oil products that meet the requirements for human consumption as well as legal distribution, and as a result CDPHE has issued us a Certificate of Health and Free Sale.
Manufactured Food Establishment License
Being licensed to operate as a Manufactured Food Establishment by the CDPHE gives Folium the full capability to legally manufacture food products containing CBD.
We have partnered with leading national and international distributors to supply the pharmaceutical and consumer product industries with the world’s best broad-spectrum CBD hemp oil.
As demand for CBD continues to grow, so too will the suspect CBD ingredients and products from obscure supply chains that are difficult to monitor for quality and compliance enforcement. We provide full supply chain transparency, traceability and legal documentation to ensure compliance with all state and federal regulations and customer confidence.
Folium serves as the global CBD industry’s singular source for the most advanced CBD applications and delivery systems on the market:
- Water Soluble Powder: Water soluble powders made to supply products that are consumed immediately after dissolution or solids, such as edibles, coffee and tea pods, slurries, powder drink mixes and more
- Oil and Nano Tinctures: Nano-advanced tincture formulations that can be dosed directly for maximum absorption and efficacy
- Softgels: Softgels with cannabinoids, terpenes and synergistic botanical ingredients made for optimal absorption
- Topical Formulations: Topical delivery systems designed to improve absorption and retention of cannabinoids essential for human skin to optimize skin health
Functional Beverages: Advanced water-soluble concentrates that are great-tasting and optimized for absorption and long shelf lives for use in ready-to-drink (RTD) functional beverages, smoothies, tea, and coffee